Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Perfect Balance

If you can, imagine your favorite book or movie. What was the particular genre? Was it a fantasy or a dystopian science fiction novel? Was it a romance  or a mystery thriller? The reason I ask this is because each of these particular stories, whether in print or on film, had their own world. It could be a world that is practically a perfect version of our own or a world like middle earth in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series. Regardless of the world, land, or universe (no matter how crazy) there was a bit of realism mixed in. In that world there were laws, a governing body of some sort, and at least one race of sentient beings. These beings were probably driven by some of our own motivators, such as love, money, and power.

These places may be "out of this world," but they share similarities with the world you in I share because they need to be relatable. We enjoy the ability of imagining ourselves in the story. We sometimes like to feel as if the story could really happen or that it is taking place on some distant planet in a galaxy far far away. That is what makes a well rounded setting for your favorite story to take place, because that world also shapes the characters within.

This is where I am having a more difficult time in my own story. It takes place in modern times which is okay but the mermaids and other creatures of the sea have their own cultures that I have to create. They have their customs and traditions and legends that get passed down to their descendants. I want this story to be a success. Not because it is a best seller or the new Hunger Games but because it is well written, the characters are so real they could step out from the story at an moment and the world is so vivid you can see it just by closing your eyes. I want the storyline to be amazing and full of adventure and the full scope of human emotions.

Recently I got the idea that to make my story more full and realistic my sea races would speak their own language. This is something that is extremely difficult and needs to be done correctly or it just seems forced. It would push back my story being finished quit a bit but would it be worth it? what do you guys think. Should I include a language for my sea creatures? I will post a poll for you to vote on the main page of my blog which will be opened until the end of the month so let me know what you think. I respect your opinions and you are who I am writing this book for so give me some input!

It's little things like this that I have to get right. I need a balance of fantasy, since that is my genre, and realism. Hopefully I will find that balance because I really hope to publish this book and I don't want to do it half heartedly but I want to go all in. Balance, as in most things, is key.

Be sure to leave your comments and opinions on the language or any questions you might have. See you next week!













No comments:

Post a Comment