Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Villain We Love to Hate

Oh where do I begin? The villain is definitely a VIC (Very Important Character) in the fiction world. I mean they may be even more important than the protagonist. They can make or break a character. I mean take Heath Ledgers Joker if he had been subpar and cartoonish the movie would not have been the same. Or even take Voldemort from the Harry Potter series. The good ones seriously mean business guys.

Depending on the genre of fiction villains, or the antagonists can be as genius as Professor Moriarty or as misunderstood as Bane. They can be whatever you want them to be but they have to flow in some way with the rest of the story. I love when you learn to hate the bad guy with all their diabolical deeds and painful plots. It is so hard when the character then does a complete 180 and reaches inside our chests to squeeze out our sympathy with a truly sad and touching back story. A good villain can make us sob uncontrollably, or become so angry we could punch a hole in the wall. With a boring or flat antagonist I could honestly care less. I might even stop reading the story and I might hate the villain without loving to hate them, if that makes sense.

What am I going to do about my story? Well I already have a plan but that doesn't mean that its easy. My villain or villains will not be in black and white. There may be a considerable amount of gray area involved. But isn't that the case in most situations. Like two face in the The Dark Knight. Harvey Dent was a pretty standup guy. He was handsome, confident, honest and totally in love with Rachel. But then he lost her and went crazy. Sure I hated him for threatening Jim Gordon's family and children but I could understand how he got there. He had been pushed past what he could bear and suffered because of it. I am not saying it was okay by any means but my heart broke for him all the same.

I am so excited for you all to meet my villain. It will take some time because my book is going to be part of a trilogy but you will understand a lot in the first book. I expect my villain to be complex and more than three dimensional if that is at all possible. I want you to love to hate them not hate them because they are bland and horribly thought out and written. I have so much planned for this villain and I will do my best not to disappoint you guys. It may take quite a few books and years later but I promise the wait and the story will be worth it. My villain will out villain the rest. They will have a story that will hopefully tug at your hearts and maybe cause you see things differently. My book is not a happy fairytale and my villain may be darker than some of you are used to but I hope you will give them a chance.


I plan to work on my book soon I promise. I am really excited to let you guys read it. I have a lot of work to do but I think my story will be unique and is not like a lot of the young adult books that are already out there. Let me know who the favorite villain you love to hate is in the comments below. I promise I wont judge. I will see you all next week. Have a good week guys!




No comments:

Post a Comment