Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Nobodies Perfect

Hey everyone! I hope that you all had a truly wonderful week and an even more wonderful weekend. My week was great. I have really gotten into my book this week and I have really gotten to know my characters a lot better. I feel like things are looking good in that area.

The topic for today's post is that nobody is perfect. I definitely am not perfect. I get cranky and mopey. I mess up and make mistakes. I know that you aren't perfect either. But our imperfections are what makes us human. Our flaws make us who we are.

Like us characters should have flaws. If you have a hero who is perfect with dimples and a killer smile and never does anything wrong there most likely is a big problem. If you have a heroine who is perfect in every way and is good at everything they ever attempt to do, you also probably have a problem. They aren't relatable  at all. Now I am no writing expert. I haven't published a book and I am not an English teacher. But I have heard multiple people and teachers say that a character has to be well rounded. A well rounded character has flaws and hopes and disappointments. They become just like you and me. I am also writing this from the side of a reader. I love to read. I love to meet new characters and join them on their adventures. I love to weep with them and laugh along with them. But I need to like the character first or at least relate to them a little. I don't mean we have to be mirror images but I need to at least be able to see where they are coming from. I wont like a character who is perfect. I can't understand them. I wont feel sorry for them if something bad happens to them in fact I may feel a little gleeful depending on the severity of course. The story would become boring to me and I might even stop reading the book. That's not good.

I am not stupid enough to think that I am the only one who feels this way. If I don't like seeing this in books that I read why wouldn't I make sure this wouldn't happen in my own writing. It's not easy. It's hard making sure each character has a story of their own. They also can't all be alike. They can't all talk or think alike. They definitely can't agree on everything and they can't all have the same flaws. Life doesn't work that way and my story can't either. I could just do something quick and give everyone random quirks and imperfections but that doesn't work for me. It may work for some people and I say good for them but I just can't do it that way. When I write the flaw has to match each character's personality. It has to be somewhat logical and it has to make the character more unique and realistic. As I have been writing this story I am in awe of how other authors do it. I don't know how they have the patience and determination but I want to be able to do it to.

Writing is what I am most passionate about. It is hard, believe me it is hard but it is also so worth it. I get to play make believe and step into a story of my own making. This is book is my Inkheart and I plan to enjoy every bit of writing it.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you all next week. Have a great week guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment