Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sacrifices

Everything requires sacrifices. A sacrifice may be as small as allowing someone to cut in front of you making you be late for something or it can be as big as allowing someone else to receive a promotion that you may deserve but they may need more. Sacrifices can go even beyond that and lead to loss of life. Either way someone has to lose something.

You are probably wondering where I am going with this but it will all make sense I promise. I along with the characters that I have made are required to make sacrifices. In fact they are interconnected and their sacrifices could not exist without mine and vice-versa. When I started this book I started out with a clear picture of what would take place from start to finish as well as who every character was supposed to be. I had their personalities down as well as their unique vocabulary. When I started writing that first version of my book I wrote and wrote for pages and pages I was practically half way done with it. But in all honesty it was all just a bunch of dog doo. It was unoriginal and predictable. My characters did not make one single sacrifice and neither did I. We couldn't have played it safer if we had all decided to spend the rest of our lives in a plastic bubble. Well okay maybe that was an exaggeration but not by very much. Let's just say it was really awful.

Obviously I can't say what sacrifices my characters have to make because I don't want to give anything away but you better believe they have to make some. I shouldn't be the only one to suffer during this process.

With this story I have to let my characters fall down and find their own way back up. I have to cry along with my characters when they get their hearts broken instead of making all their pain magically disappear. Sometimes I have to let the unimaginable happen in order for them to grow. Sometimes a character that I absolutely loved doesn't even make it into the book or maybe they are only in it for a short while. There are times when sacrifices need to be made in order for the book to move on to the next part of the story. That may sound tough but that's the life of a writer. Like us characters are shaped by events that happen to them and the choices that they make. Like us that is what builds character and that is life. Life can not exist without some sacrifice. I have to sacrifice my some of my plans and hopes for this book in order for my characters to be able to sacrifice.

This book has changed so much from what I have expected it to be and I have learned to stop fighting against it. I am excited to see what the finished story looks like as well as if I will even recognize the characters. I will continue to sacrifice and hope that my story will get even better.

I hope you have all had a great week and will have another great one. See you all next week. Oh and don't be afraid to leave a comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment